About Me

My photo
The summer of 2006, about a month after graduating High School, I packed most of my belongings and moved across the Atlantic from the far too small country of Sweden to the Big Apple. After a year of wild partying and hard work I entered Baruch College with a dream of a degree in International Marketing. Now, almost 4 years after I entered JFK airport with everything I owned in my hands, the dream of a success career in business is still growing strong!

Followers

Monday, April 19, 2010

Keepin' The Faith

As a 10 year old my teacher gave the entire class an assignment to write a letter to yourself where you would describe where you think you would be in 10 years time. You could include any dreams and anticipation for the future; no one would read this letter but the writer himself. The whole point of this assignment was to envision your future, and by doing so increase the likelihood of your dreams coming true. I had completely forgotten the assignment up until last year when I went back to Sweden to visit my family. When I read the letter it literally gave me the chills. I had written that I thought I was going to be a student in New York, working with something that allowed me to travel all over the world, and have my own apartment. The last one was really important since I grew up in a small house with 4 siblings:/ I am now 22 and a student in New York, working at a job that includes traveling all over the world.

Now it's been almost 10 years since I wrote that letter, and since most of my dreams came true, I really believe in the power of vision. I have therefore always tried to have a clear vision over what the next step in life should be for me. The first vision continues on my last one as a 10 year old, to have my own apartment. I've been living with an American family for the last 4 years, and even though they are absolutely amazing, living on my own is a dream I very soon plan to realize.

The second vision I have for the future might sound trivial to those who are American born, but my vision is to get a Green Card so I can stay in this country even after my graduation. Since I don't have any relatives here or can apply for the Green Card in any other way right now, the only thing I can do is to join the "Diversification Lottery", and hope for the best. To stay in New York brings me to my third vision, which is to build up my career in business here. My goal is to work my way up to a position were I’d have the opportunity to keep traveling, and move around like I have been for the last 4 years. I'm majoring in Marketing and what I would like to do with that is to work with the restructuring and repositioning of different businesses. To help companies who are seeing declining profits to strengthen their position in the market, and increase profits.

To get to that position, my fourth vision is to get an internship this summer. Since I have a great passion for music (hip hop fans might have noticed I named my blog after a "The Beastie Boys" song, and this input after a "De La Soul" song), so I'd like to combine that passion with my interest in business by interning at the online music store "E-Music". Whether or not my dreams will come true after writing them down, only time will tell. But regardless if I end up where I wanted or somewhere else, I’m keepin’ the faith;).

17 comments:

  1. Awesome! It's great to read your dreams came true. I hope you get that apartment soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already achieved so much! I'm sure, getting an apartment will be just a snap for you.
    It is so great that you've been going toward your goal for several years, gradually achieving every part of it.
    My story is completely the opposite: I have never wanted to be in NY and never thought of doing a career in business. But some mysterious succession of events made it happen:)))
    By the way, I wish us both luck in Green Card lottery!!! Let's keep fingers crossed till July, 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like you definitely have a clear vision. The drive and passion the you seem to possess will make you go a long way. To some extent, you have already come a long way. Being an American Born Citizen, sometimes we citizens definitely take for granted our legal status. I wish you the best of luck, and will definitely see you out there in the corporate world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! it is hard to beleive that most your visions come true. I guess it really does work. It is amazing that you actually knew where you would like to be and what you would like to be doing in a ten year span of time. Achieving long-term goals is very difficult and if you can successfully turn a vision into reality, KUDOS to you. Best of luck in all that you plan on achieving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! i think it is fantastic that most your visions became a reality after a ten year time span. That is amazing! Your ability to vision your future seems to be on target, which supports that your thinking optimistically. You outlook on a positive vision helped you reach where you are today. Continue to follow your dreams with reality like you so successfully did when you were 10 years old.Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will definitely get that apartment you wanted if you keep working on that job position you're trying to acquire. Saving money on the side for that apartment might help also down the road. I hope you get that Green Card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! Your goals are so clear and step by step. I'm so interested in what job you are doing right now that provie you to travel around? I'm so like traveling. I want to visit the whole world. That's my life goal, a biggest one. And for the green card issue I think you can plan to merry with a local Ameican.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fact that at 12 years old you knew what you wanted to do and actually made it happen is not only amazing but inspiring also. I have seen many people pray day and night for a green card and I can understand the eagerness it brings. I hope you don't have to wait as they did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...I envy you. Congts! most of your dreams came true :) Hope your rest of dream will come true! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love your attitude. I think as long as you believe then everything will fall into its place. I wish all your visions come true!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you seem to be someone that is very determined and ambitious, doing so much and being a student...Im sure you will get your own apartment one day! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I don't even clearly remember what exactly I wanted while living back home in Belarus. But your post confirms to me how important is to have a vision and know not only what do you want but know as well how to get it.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire your vision for what you'd like to do in Marketing. I'm still very undecided as to what area of business I want to focus on, and it's inspiring to see that you have a clear idea of what you'd like to do in your field!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great to hear that many of your visions came true. Not many people can say that for themselves and I am sure it is the product of a lot of hard work and dedication. I can empathize with you in regards to your green card goal as I too, am not American born and had to go through the same process. Everything worked out for me and I am now enjoying the advantages of being an American citizen and I am sure you will be able to reap those same benefits soon! Good luck on the rest of your aspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's fantastic! You definitely know what you want to do even since you were 10 years old. Your story is incredible. I wish I was that focused as a child. All your goals seem to be very realistic and attainable in the near future. I hope all goes well for you and your career!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this is probably one of the better blogs I've read including this entry. I think the E-Music thing is pretty awesome and I can certainly relate being an avid music follower of many things older and underground. I feel like music is meant to be share and I am rooting for you to find your internship in the field.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I honestly never thought my life would lead me to where I am no, but I am glad that it has. At least I can look back on my experiences and be happy that they have lead me to more clarity for my future

    ReplyDelete